A Letter To My Husband

Dear Husband, 

Maybe there’s a future waiting for us with small faces that reflect our own.

A future where it takes more than two minutes to load up the car and leave the house.


One day we might be swept up in the busyness of little hands and hearts that are oh so cute and oh so needy.


One day we may be trading our regular coffee dates for cold instant coffee left forgotten on the bench.


And late nights out for a bed and bath time routine.


A future where the juggle of work and family and friends is constant and overwhelming.


Or maybe not.


We have prayed and hoped for a future that looks like this for what feels like forever.


The days turn to weeks to months to years so easily.


Somehow becoming numb to the disappointment and bad news but more sensitive and worn down as time goes on.


Familiar glances between us when friends are enjoying their babies.


A small rub on the back to check in that I'm coping.


The sting of the question, “So when are you guys having kids?”


I hate that I can feel you bracing yourself for my reaction with every social media announcement.


This was not the life that I imagined or planned for.


But neither were you. 


I did not plan to fall in love at 17.


I did not plan for you to move away not once but twice.


I did not plan on getting married at 20.


I did not plan to build a life that involved camping or a dog or washing the dishes immediately after cooking.


All of these things I did not plan and still they make up the beautiful history that is ours. 


And while I did not plan this excruciating wait, I will choose to appreciate the here and now.


The future, whatever it may look like, can wait for us a little while longer.


Because I love this life we have together, just you and me.


How could I be upset to stay a while longer in our cozy little now?



Your Story by One Voice INT Music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Duality of My Identity

I Am Who You Say I Am